Axtell One Name Study
See also

Family of Daniel AXTELL and Rebecca

Husband: Daniel AXTELL (1622-1660)
Wife: Rebecca (1643- )
Children: Daniel AXTELL (1658?-1687)

Husband: Daniel AXTELL

      Daniel AXTELL, 1660?, age 38    
Name: Daniel AXTELL 1,2
Sex: Male
Father: William AXTELL (1587-1638)
Mother: Thomasine CUTLER (1591-1675)
Birth 26 May 1622 Berkhamstead, Hertfordshire, England, UK 2
Baptism 26 May 1622 (age 0) Berkhampstead, Hertfordshire, England, UK
Death 19 Oct 1660 (age 38) Tyburn, London, England, UK 2,3

Wife: Rebecca

Name: Rebecca 4
Sex: Female
Father: -
Mother: -
Birth 1643 4

Child 1: Daniel AXTELL

Name: Daniel AXTELL
Sex: Male
Spouse: Rebecca HOLLAND (1640?-1729?)
Birth 1658 (est)
Death Jun 1687 (age 28-29) 3

Note on Husband: Daniel AXTELL (1)

The Regicide


Unsure if married or even had children even with the number of trees on Ancestry stating that he did. Seems to have married a Rebecca and had Daniel/Landgrave Daniel (1640-1683) or Daniel 1658-1687), William (1646-1795!!! *), Annette (1655-?), and another daughter (1649-?)

Note on Husband: Daniel AXTELL (2)

Colonel Daniel Axtell[1] (1622-1660) was Captain of the Parliamentary Guard at the trial of King Charles I at Westminster Hall in 1649. Shortly after the Restoration he was hanged, drawn and quartered on 19 October 1660 for his part in the Regicide.


He was a Baptist from Berkhamsted in Hertfordshire who apprenticed as a grocer. He joined the New Model Army and rose to the Rank of Colonel. Apart from his participation in the regicide, he is best remembered for his participation in Pride's Purgeof the Long Parliament. His defence at his trial as a Regicide, that he was only obeying orders at the trial of the King, was refuted by several witnesses who testified that Axtell had behaved discourteously towards the King encouraging his men tojeer at or shout-out the King when he tried to speak in his own defence. He was executed by being hanged, drawn and quartered. His commanding officer Colonel Francis Hacker who had also been condemned as a Regicide was also executed. Axtell went tohis execution unrepentant declaring that he died for the "Good Old Cause".



1 Granny Castle

2 Miscellaneous

3 Further reading

4 Footnotes


Granny Castle

Granny Castle [Granagh Castle] beside the river Nore is an imposing ruin. Its early history is identified with that of its foundersand proprietors the earls of Ormond. "In the civil wars" writes Grosse "it was strongly garrisoned for the King and commanded by Captain Butler, Colonel Axtel the famous regicide who was governor of Kilkenny dispatched a party to reduce it, but they returned without accomplishing their orders; upon which Axtel himself marched out with two cannon and summoned thecastle to surrender on pain of military execution. Without any hope of relief it is no wonder the garrison submitted (Grose Antiquities Vol. II p. 79)



In 1678 Danial Axtell, the son of the regicide, fled to Carolina after his house in Stoke Newington was searched for seditious libels. He died in 1687.[2]


Further reading

Col. Daniel Axtell, Regicide - http://www.axtellfamily.org/axfamous/regicide/index.htm

Excerpts from his trial - http://www.axtellfamily.org/axfamous/regicide/DanielAxtellTrial1660.htm

The History of Berkhamsted - http://www.dacorum.gov.uk/berkhamsted-t-centre/history.htm

British Civil Wars: Daniel Axtell, Soldier, Regicide, d.1660 - http://www.british-civil-wars.co.uk/biog/axtell.htm

The Diary of Samuel Pepys Friday 19 October 1660 - http://www.pepysdiary.com/archive/1660/10/19/index.php



^ The family name is now spelt Axtell, but in some C17th records he is called Daniel Axtel and this spelling is used in some modern sources derived from those sources, for example House of Lords Record Office: The Death Warrant of King Charles I -http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld199899/ldparlac/ldrpt66.htm

^ British history on line:Stoke Newington Growth from A History of the county of MIDDLESEX volumn III by Diane K. Bolton Pub 1985. footnote 79:Cal. S.P. Dom. 1680-1, 307; 1682, 237; 1685, 5; D.N.B. - http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=101965

Note on Husband: Daniel AXTELL (3)

From The Cavalier Songs and Ballads of England from 1642 to 1684

Edited by Charles Mackay c. 1862

The entire text is available online at Project Gutenberg.




Ballad: A Relation


Of Ten grand infamous Traytors, who, for their horrid murder and detestable villany against our late soveraigne Lord King Charles the First, that ever blessed martyr, were arraigned, tryed, and executed in the moneth of October, 1660, which in perpetuity will be had in remembrance unto the world's end.


This is one of the Six Ballads of the Restoration found in a trunk, and sent by Sir W. C. Trevelyan to the British Museum. "No measure threw more disgrace on the Restoration," says Mr Wright, "than the prosecution of the regicides; and the heartless and sanguinary manner in which it was conducted tended more than any other circumstance to open the eyes of the people to the real character of the government to which they had been betrayed." Pepys observes on the 20th Oct., "A bloody week this and the last have been; there being ten hanged, drawn, and quartered."


The tune is "Come let us drinke, the time invites."


Hee that can impose a thing,

And shew forth a reason

For what was done against the King,

From the palace to the prison;

Let him here with me recite,

For my pen is bent to write

The horrid facts of treason.


Since there is no learned scribe

Nor arithmaticion

Ever able to decide

The usurp'd base ambition,

Which in truth I shall declare,

Traytors here which lately were,

Who wanted a phisitian.


For the grand disease that bred

Nature could not weane it;

From the foot unto the head,

Was putrefacted treason in it;

Doctors could no cure give,

Which made the squire then beleeve

That he must first begin it.


And the phisick did compose,

Within a pound of reason;

First to take away the cause,

Then to purge away the treason,

With a dosse of hemp made up,

Wrought as thickly as a rope,

And given them in due season.


The doctors did prescribe at last

To give 'um this potation,

A vomit or a single cast,

Well deserved, in purgation;

After that to lay them downe,

And bleed a veine in every one,

As traytors of the nation.


So when first the physicke wrought,

The thirteenth of October,

The patient on a sledge was brought,

Like a rebell and a rover,

To the execution tree;

Where with much dexterity

Was gently turned over.



THE SECOND PART - To the same tune.


Monday was the fifteenth day,

As Carew then did follow,

Of whom all men I thinke might say

In tyranny did deeply wallow;

Traytor proved unto the King,

Which made him on the gallowes swing,

And all the people hallow.


Tuesday, after Peters, Cooke,

Two notorious traytors,

That brought our soveraigne to the blocke,

For which were hang'd and cut in quarters;

'Twas Cooke which wrought the bloody thing

To draw the charge against our King,

That ever blessed martyr.


Next, on Wednesday, foure came,

For murthur all imputed,

There to answer for the same,

Which in judgement were confuted.

Gregorie Clement, Jones, and Scot,

And Scroop together, for a plot,

Likewise were executed.


Thursday past, and Friday then,

To end the full conclusion,

And make the traytors just up ten,

That day were brought to execution,

Hacker and proud Axtell he,

At Tyburne for their treachery

Received their absolution.


Being against the King and States,

The Commons all condemn'd 'um,

And their quarters on the gates

Hangeth for a memorandum

'Twixt the heavens and the earth;

Traytors are so little worth,

To dust and smoake wee'l send 'um.


Let now October warning make

To bloody-minded traytors,

That never phisicke more they take,

For in this moneth they lost their quarters;

Being so against the King,

Which to murther they did bring,

The ever blessed martyr.


London, printed for Fr. Coles, T. Vere, M. Wright, and W. Gilbertson.6

Note on Husband: Daniel AXTELL (4)

Daniel Axtell, Regicide, 1622-60

Added by ninahull on 20 Mar 2008

Originally submitted by Mary_Ritch to The Ritch-Googe Family Tree on 18 Jan 2008


Daniel Axtell, Regicide, 1622-60

Born at Great Berkhamsted in Hertfordshire, Daniel Axtell was apprenticed to a London grocer around 1638 and became a zealous member of WIlliam Kiffin's Baptist congregation. He joined Parliament's army during the First Civil War and by 1648, was a major in Colonel Hewson's regiment, serving with distinction on the campaign against the Royalist uprising in Kent during the Second Civil War. Axtell was lieutenant-colonel of Hewson's regiment during Pride's Purge, and in January 1649 he commanded the guards at Westminster Hall during the King's trial. He was later accused of threatening to shoot Lady Ann Fairfax when she interrupted the proceedings, of bullying and beating the soldiers to make them cry for "justice" and "execution", and of behaving discourteously towards the King.


Axtell served on Cromwell's invasion of Ireland in August 1649 and was appointed governor of Kilkenny in 1650. He stayed in Ireland when Henry Ireton took over from Cromwell as Lord-Deputy. In October 1650, Axtell defeated a large force of Confederates at Meelick on the River Shannon, but Ireton suspended him from command and sent him back to England for killing prisoners who had surrendered after promise of quarter. Axtell was captured at sea by Royalists and spent some time as a prisoner on the Isles of Scilly. After his release and following the death of Ireton, he returned to the governorship of Kilkenny. He was one of the representatives sent from Ireland to the First Protectorate Parliament in 1654. In 1655, Cromwell's son Henry became Lord-Deputy. Axtell opposed Henry's conciliatory attitude towards the Irish population. They also clashed over Henry's attempts to suppress the Baptists and other radical sects. Axtell resigned in protest in November 1656.


After the fall of the Protectorate in May 1659, Axtell returned briefly to Ireland as a colonel under the command of Edmund Ludlow but was sent back to England to support Lambert against Booth's Uprising in August 1659. Axtell was among the veterans of the Good Old Cause who responded to Lambert's last desperate attempt to rally military opposition to the Restoration in April 1660. He escaped from the fight at Daventry during which Lambert was captured by Colonel Ingoldsby, but was himself arrested shortly afterwards. Arraigned for treason for his actions during the King's trial, Axtell's plea that he had only followed orders was unsuccessful. On 19 October 1660, he was hanged, drawn and quartered at Tyburn and his head set up on Westminster Hall. He died bravely, declaring that he died for the Good Old Cause and praying for the conversion of King Charles II to a godly way of life.



Alan Thomson, Daniel Axtell, Oxford DNB, 2004

C.V. Wedgwood, The Trial of Charles I, 1964



The Trial of Colonel Axtell, www.axtellfamily.org4

Note on Husband: Daniel AXTELL (5)

Cromwell attacks Kilkenny

Kilkenny Advertiser, July 31, 2008.


(Part One)


On March 22, 1650, the city was confronted with one of the greatest threats ever to its security and well-being.


Kilkenny had faced, and overcome, many great challenges in the course of its turbulent history. But the countdown to its darkest hours began on a frosty day in 1650. On March 22 of that year, a powerful military force under the command of Oliver Cromwell appeared at the city gates.


Kilkenny was a target of great strategic value to his army in Ireland. And its famed reputation as the seat of the rebel Confederacy elevated its importance and status even higher in the estimation of Cromwell and his anti-royalist forces.


James Butler, the Earl of Ormond, was Lord Lieutenant of Ireland and in command of all the forces battling Cromwell’s invading army. He allocated command of his men in Leinster to Lord Castlehaven. Castlehaven in turn had appointed James Walsh governor of Kilkenny Castle and Sir Walter Butler governor of the city.


In the weeks preceding his arrival at the city gates, a combination of plague sickness and low morale among Royalist troops had weakened the defending Kilkenny garrison. Lord Castlehaven had reinforced the garrison with 1000 foot soldiers and 200 horsemen, but half of these had died of plague by the eve of the siege, and less than half of these, around 300, were fighting fit.


Lord Dillon’s army, a force of 1,500 foot and 600 horse, could have greatly augmented the ranks of the defenders. But these men flatly refused to come to Kilkenny’s defence. They saw resistance to Cromwell as hopeless.


Background to the Siege


So how did Cromwell come to be at the gates of Kilkenny on that day in March 1650? To answer that we must go back a bit further, to August of the previous year, when he landed in Dublin with an army of more than 17,000 crack troops…men trained to the pitch of military perfection.


Having subdued Drogheda, whose garrison his forces eliminated with ease, he turned his attention in a southerly direction. Wexford fell to his rampaging forces on October 11th. New Ross followed on the 19th. Sweeping across South Kilkenny, he captured Carrick-on-Suir on November 23rd.


Waterford put up stiff resistance, holding out against seemingly impossible odds. Cromwell and his army hunkered down in winter quarters in Cork throughout December and January.


But on January 29th, his mighty spring offensive got underway. He cut across Tipperary like a hot knife through butter. Fethard capitulated without a shot being fired. Cashel proved another virtual walkover for the puritan leader, after which he felt confident that Kilkenny City would fall quickly into his hands. He was encouraged in this belief by an act of treachery by an officer of the city garrison called Tickle.


This gentleman, thinking it was better to be on the likely winning side in the ongoing military campaign, sent letters to Cromwell, offering vital information that could have eased the way to a bloodless victory for the invaders.


In one missive he wrote: "If your Excellency will draw before this town I will send a messenger unto you upon your first approach, and shall give an account of the weakest part of the town and the force within exactly".


Cromwell offered Tickle £4,000, a high command in his army, and the governorship of Kilkenny in return for the proposed betrayal.


Unfortunately for Cromwell, and even more so for Tickle, some of these treasonous letters were intercepted. Tickle was half-hanged and disembowelled for his betrayal. Apart from this hiccup- the discovery of the traitor in the City garrison- Cromwell was also wary of the fact that plague had been ravaging Kilkenny for weeks.


Whilst this malady had depleted the strength of the defending garrison- a plus for the attackers-it also posed an obvious and deadly risk to forces attempting to enter the city. Another factor in his decision to delay the big push on Kilkenny was a lack of firepower and other resources vital for a siege. Over-reliance on the co-operation of the traitor had caused him to scale down his forces.


Following this initial setback in his quest to capture Kilkenny, Cromwell diverted his forces to attack Callan, which resisted, but fell to the Cromwellians after three days of fierce fighting (see Kilkenny: People Places Faces for a detailed account of the battle for Callan).


Captain Mark Geoghegan, who led the defence of Skerry’s Castle in West Street, Callan, died defending the town. The remaining members of the garrison and many civilians were then massacred. Geoghegan’s wife escaped after killing at least a dozen enemy troops during the siege.


By mid-March, Cromwell had stormed into Thomastown. The defenders were crushed like ripe tomatoes. His troops went berserk in Gowran, killing men, women, and children at random after seizing control of the village. Its castle was burned to the ground. Gowran became a staging ground for the next phase of the campaign in this County: The attack on Kilkenny City.


From Gowran, Cromwell led his forces to the city via Bennettsbridge. Along the way, he performed a major atrocity that struck even greater fear into the hearts of an already jittery and panic-stricken city population. Between Ballyhale and Castlemorris, on the northern edge of the Walshe Mountains, stood Castle Howel.


Since Howel Walshe built the castle in the 13th century, the Walshes had proudly occupied it. The Cromwellians became quickly aware of its strategic location. It was perched on mountainous land and its occupants had a wide panoramic view across the Central Plain of the county.



Old Kilkenny with John Fitzgerald



Every week in the Kilkenny Advertiser, local historian, John Fitzgerald will take you through an excerpt of his book - 'Kilkenny - A blast from the past' . On this page each week you will find anecdotes about old Kilkenny and pictures of the people and streets of the past. Many will be familiar to some and for others it will be a first snapshot of what our city looked like in the good old days. We hope you will enjoy this page which reminds us of how it used to be.


John Fitzgerald can be contacted on 056 7725543 or email: jfitzg3@eircom.net


From http://www.advertiser.ie/kilkenny/article/774

Note on Husband: Daniel AXTELL (6)

Cromwell Attacks Kilkenny

Kilkenny Advertiser, September 18, 2008.

(Part Three)


With John Fitzgerald


A second storming party under Colonel Hewson was also beaten back. Wounded and dying men lay heaped on both sides of the breach in the wall. Body parts were scattered everywhere.


Decapitated corpses, arms, legs, and torsos seemed to quiver and move…taking on a new life of their own amidst the gurgling streams of hot blood that washed over them. The ear-splitting cries of injured men unnerved both attackers and defenders.


Cromwell lost a total of 70 troops, two colonels, and a number of lower ranking officers in the two attacks. The garrison lost 30 men.


When a furious Cromwell ordered a third attack on this heavily defended breach; his troops refused to obey. Such disloyalty to the Lord Protector from his men was rare enough, and an indication that his initial confidence in a quick victory had been dented by the garrison’s fighting spirit.


He then decided on a diversionary tactic. Giving the impression that his forces were preparing for a third storming of the breach, he dispatched a large force to Dean’s Gate at Irishtown, which, it must be remembered, was totally separate from the Hightown or Englishtown.


Unfortunately for Kilkenny, it was also less adequately defended. Apart from being the weakest point in the city’s defences, Irishtown had immense strategic value to the invaders because it encompassed St Canice’s Cathedral. This rose to a considerable height and thus offered a panoramic view of Englishtown.


Col Ewers led one thousand Cromwellian troops to attack Irishtown and seize the cathedral. The attackers approached Dean’s Gate by a route that took them down by New Street, Flood Street and Blackmill Street. They rapidly overcame the poorly armed, plague-ridden and badly undernourished defenders.


Within a matter of hours, they had completely occupied Irishtown. Rampaging troops smashed their way into the cathedral.


Having subdued Irishtown, Cromwell re-directed his efforts to capturing Hightown, with its formidable defences. He attempted to break through a section of the city wall that ran alongside the River Bregagh at St Francis Abbey.


On Wednesday, March 27, his troops managed to create a breach in the wall where it adjoined the Abbey. For a while, this breakthrough seemed to herald imminent disaster for the garrison.


But the city governor was alerted and the defenders quickly counter-attacked. Irish and Royalist horsemen cut down the Cromwellians at this location. Thirty or more skeletons were unearthed at the spot in the late 20th century.


Despite this morale boost for the garrison, the city governor realised that his forces would soon be completely outflanked and overwhelmed by sheer weight of numbers. Letters had passed back and forth between the opposing sides since the invaders had arrived at the city gates.


Defiant at first, Butler now began to soften his position. Lord Castlehaven had specified to him days earlier that if the city were not relieved by 7 pm on March 27th, he should surrender on the best terms possible if the alternative was an all-out massacre of the population.


He organised a parley to explore the possibility of an honourable surrender to Cromwell. The group he appointed to meet the enemy beyond the south wall of the city comprised prominent citizens and pillars of the Kilkenny establishment: Captain David Turnball, Edward Rothe, the well known merchant, James Cowley, Recorder of Kilkenny, and Major John Comerford.


Later that evening, even as surrender was being negotiated, eight companies of foot soldiers under Colonel Gifford crossed the Nore and set about storming St John’s Gate at the corner of Maudlin Street.


But these troops met with a hail of gunfire and fierce resistance from defending swordsmen when they tried to cross John’s Bridge to enter the City by this point. Around fifty Cromwellians died in the skirmish.


Though the besiegers had been put under severe pressure, both sides knew that capitulation was only a matter of time. The bloodletting soon stopped as terms of surrender were agreed upon and signed.


Next morning, March 28, Cromwell’s forces took control of Kilkenny and its proud castle. The garrison was allowed to leave the city, but fines totalling £2,000 were imposed on the civic population of Kilkenny in the weeks that followed, an amount equivalent to about ninety million Euro in today’s monetary terms. These fines were to reimburse Cromwell for the cost of his bloody siege.


The triumphant leader appointed Lt Colonel Axtel as Governor of Kilkenny. He had shown true heroism in the course of the siege. This impressed Cromwell, who also favoured Axtel because he had been the officer in charge of the guard at the execution of King Charles I following the Crown’s defeat in the English Civil War.


From http://www.advertiser.ie/kilkenny/article/2028

Note on Husband: Daniel AXTELL (7)

Cromwell Attacks Kilkenny (Part Four)

Kilkenny Advertiser, October 02, 2008.


The effects of the fighting on Kilkenny were devastating. Apart from the human cost, many important buildings bore the brunt of the siege and the cruel occupation that followed it. St Patrick’s Church, from which the opening barrages of cannon-fire had rained down on the city, was completely obliterated. Today not a trace of the building remains.


The homes of ordinary citizens in Kilkenny had been gutted in the fighting. The houses of wealthier families at the time were mainly stone-built with roofs of slate. But the houses of poor folk were thatched and built of wattles and clay. These had proven especially vulnerable to artillery fire during the siege.


Bishop David Rothe, who had so proudly and happily welcomed Cardinal Rinnucinni to Kilkenny a few years before, departed the city with the garrison on the morning of March 28th 1650.


The surrender terms allowed the city’s inhabitants to leave with their possessions, so he felt he had nothing to fear. But a party of Cromwellians raided the rearguard of the retiring garrison when it had reached a point about two miles outside the city.


Soldiers waylaid the bishop’s carriage. They robbed him of all his money, and then pulled him from the carriage, stripped him of his clothes and covered him with a vermin infested cloak.


Hearing of this incident, Cromwell permitted the traumatised bishop to return to the city, where he died a month later. He was buried in the tomb of his ancestors in St Mary’s Church.


St Canice’s Cathedral was badly damaged during the siege and its aftermath. The new city governor, Colonel Axtel, had quartered his regiment in the place of worship. The aisles had been converted into stabling for horses. Parts of the roof were torn down, five of its large bells were stolen, and its stained glass windows were shattered with gun butts and axes.


A marble holy water font and many sacred or ancient monuments were smashed to pieces. Horses drank from the remaining fonts. After knocking down the cathedral’s doors, troops herded pigs into both the building itself and the burial ground around it. The pigs, and stray hungry dogs, were encouraged to gnaw at the bones of the dead.


Shortly before he died, Bishop Rothe had the misfortune to witness some of the destruction, which may have hastened his demise. He saw Cromwellian troops hacking away at priceless works of medieval art and sculpture. And he saw them tossing shards of illuminated stained glass from the cathedral into a gaping pit.


Other clergy had to hide from the occupation forces. A legend, which may have some factual basis, claims that a number of ecclesiastics on the run sought refuge in a concealed chamber of the Black Abbey. The story went that among the select few people who knew of their hiding place was a woman called Thornton who spilled the beans- or to be more precise, the milk- on them.


She led the troops to the chamber by spilling milk along the road up to where the entrance to the chamber could be found. The Cromwellians then supposedly dragged them out and killed them on the spot. The lady who betrayed them received a grant of land as a reward, according to this tradition.


Another legend relates to the profanement of Kilkenny’s Market Cross by Cromwellian soldiers. This magnificent stone structure (see picture in chapter on Confederation) stood close to the present location of the same name. Four columns supported it and devout folk could ascend it on its four sides by flights of stone steps. From its highest point rose a sculptured figure of the Crucifixion.


Shortly after the occupation forces entered the city, a band of troops gathered in the market place around this monument. Aiming their muskets, they opened fire on the Crucifixion symbol to aggravate locals and show them who was in charge. They then broke off pieces of the monument and scattered these on the street.


This part of the story is believable, and the incident would have been quite typical of Cromwell’s troops in the aftermath of a military triumph. But the legend goes on to describe what became of the "profaning scoundrels" who desecrated the Market Cross. Within a few days, each of the seven soldiers involved had died of "a strange malady"…Heaven’s revenge, locals believed.


Outside the city, Governor Axtel made his presence equally felt. He had no qualms about suppressing any hint of opposition to Cromwellian rule within his jurisdiction.


After hostilities had ceased, he instructed his troops to round up fifty inhabitants of Thomastown and execute them as a reprisal for an ambush mounted the previous day in the district by a mixed group of Royalist and native Irish fighters.


A makeshift gallows was erected. The men and women chosen were hanged one by one as families and friends were compelled to watch. The scene of unspeakable horror was preserved for a week to ensure that locals got the message.


On Axtel’s orders, Cromwellian troops shot and killed a group of forty men, women and children in a field near Kildonan Wood.


Axtel had a Fitzgarret of Brow beheaded because the man’s father had fought in the King's army against Cromwell. The sons of the Butlers of Ballykeeffe and Bonnettstown were hanged for the same "offence".


Francis Frisby, a former servant of the Earl of Ormonde, also drew the wrath of Axtel and his Roundhead goons. A protestant and Englishman, Frisby was tortured to death in Kilkenny Castle.


Captain Thomas Shortall was hanged by Axtel simply because he owned a fine estate two miles outside Kilkenny that the Cromwellians had their eyes on.


(An interesting local curio: Before attacking Kilkenny City, Cromwell is reputed to have encamped in Bennettsbridge on what has ever since been known as Cannon Hill, just yards from where the Nore Folk Museum now stands.


And in 1690, the same venue witnessed another large-scale military presence when King William of Orange, better known as King Billy of the Boyne, passed over Cannon Hill on his way south after routing his enemies. There is an excellent display of cannons and other military memorabilia showcased at the Nore Folk Museum, which is well worth a visit.


The museum also proudly flies the Confederate flag that once fluttered in the breeze over Kilkenny in the 1640s, when the City hosted a national parliament that effectively ruled Ireland.)



Old Kilkenny with John Fitzgerald



Every week in the Kilkenny Advertiser, local historian, John Fitzgerald will take you through an excerpt of his book - 'Kilkenny - A blast from the past' . On this page each week you will find anecdotes about old Kilkenny and pictures of the people and streets of the past. Many will be familiar to some and for others it will be a first snapshot of what our city looked like in the good old days. We hope you will enjoy this page which reminds us of how it used to be.


John Fitzgerald can be contacted on 056 7725543 or email: jfitzg3@eircom.net


From http://www.advertiser.ie/kilkenny/article/2212

Note on Wife: Rebecca

Rebecca is possibly Daniel's wife. First found reference to Rebecca on Mary Ritch's data on Ancestry. No sources given, so data is suspect. [Jon Axtell]4


1"Proceedings and Transactions of the Kilkenny and South-East of Ireland Archaeological Society Vol III 1854-55" (McGlashan and Gill, 50 Upper Sackville Street, Dublin. Printed at the University Press 1856).
2Eduardo Moreno, "Person - Eduardo Moreno" (http://www.dim.uchile.cl/~emoreno/ ).
4sarahtharby64, "Ancestry.co.uk - The Tharby/Morris Family Tree".
5"Wikipedia". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Daniel_Axtell.
6"Project Gutenberg" (http://www.gutenberg.net/).